Boya – meaning "Rock" was established in 1901 when a new government quarry began extracting huge granite blocks to complete the moles at Fremantle Harbour Scheme. The Boya section of the railway was notorious for it's sharp curves and steep gradients and one particular curve became known as "Cape Horn" due to the ever present danger around the bend. This danger became apparent in 1895 when Engine No. 1 – 'Katie" left the rails at Cape Horn and ploughed up the embankment for nearly 50 metres. All 3 crewman survived after jumping for their lives, however the driver Elis Peake was fined 3 weeks' pay for not remaining with "his engine to the last".
In 1883 Dr Alfred Waylen purchased land to establish a vineyard on a slope facing the rising sun, the vineyards thick stone-walled cellar is still present today and is now part of the Darlington lessor hall. In 1889 a platform was constructed and named "Darlington" after the vineyard. In the 1920's Darlington became a popular holiday destination which contributed to the area securing the first bus service in 1930 for the Mundaring district. The two buses ran seven days a week from Perth to Darlington and provided a stop at John Forrest National Park for bushwalkers.