During the railways construction 1894-1895 the department of Lands realised the demand for fertile land along Jane Brook. The Perth City council quarry opened in Parkerville in 1897 supplying blue metal to pave the city streets of Perth until 1919. The quarry was a major employer in Parkerville and declared a town site in 1900.
Settlement began in 1896 when a timber camp was established between Parkerville and Mt Helena (Lion Mill) to cut sleepers and firewood
Stoneville was established as a stopping place on the eastern railway in 1920 and a local progress association built the hall in 1944 to accommodate a local school which was operational until 1953.