Mundaring meaning a "high place" was centred around a sawmill site and a vineyard until the 1980 when the Coolgardie Water supply scheme commenced. This resulted in the subdivision of land and the declaration of Mundaring town site in 1898. One of the first blocks sold was to build the two story brick Mundaring Hotel which opened in 1899.
The Mundaring Hall which was built in 1901 spurred many significant historical events, with the local school establishing itself in the hall in 1907 and in 1925 holding the Greenmount Road board (now Shire of Mundaring) monthly meetings.
Sawyers Valley began as a pit sawyer's settlement in 1860's which was brought to life with the construction of the Railway. In 1882 Lacey's Steam Saw Mill processed timber which was used in the building of the Fremantle jetty with two other sawmills been constructed in 1890's. The Mill provided employment and boosted Sawyers Valley as a town site which prompted the Education Department to build a new school and teacher's residence in 1896 on the current site of the present day school. Sawyers Valley was officially gazetted in 1896 and after the saw mills closed down, fruit growing become the main source of income.