Plan your Trip
Distance 2.9 km
Gradient 2.9 – 2.9m
Timings Walk 45 mins Cycle 15 mins
Points of Interest
Mahogany Creek Hall (built 1954)
Old Mahogany Creek Store
Mahogany Creek Quarry
Mundaring Hall (built 1901)
Mundaring Station Masters House
Mahogany Creek was named after the surrounding Jarrah forest which was similar to the English Mahogany. Mahogany Creek was most famously known for the 1939 military barracks that were built to protect travellers from attacks on the Old York Road. Once abandoned in 1841 the barracks were sold and became provide accommodation for travellers and is still remaining today.
The extensive gravel quarrying at Mahogany Creek Coppin Road site along with the steady interest in fruit growing potential led to the opening of the railway station being built on the line in 1891.
Mundaring meaning a "high place" was centred around a sawmill site and a vineyard until the 1980 when the Coolgardie Water supply scheme commenced. This resulted in the subdivision of land and the declaration of Mundaring town site in 1898. One of the first blocks sold was to build the two story brick Mundaring Hotel which opened in 1899.
The Mundaring Hall which was built in 1901 spurred many significant historical events, with the local school establishing itself in the hall in 1907 and in 1925 holding the Greenmount Road board (now Shire of Mundaring) monthly meetings.