Glen Forrest was formerly known as "Smiths Mill" after Charles Alfred Smith who established the "York Greenmount Sawmill" in 1877, on the banks of the Nyaania Brook. The seasonal creek had earned the name in the Perth newspapers in the 1880s as "The Devil's Terror" after workers reportedly sunk in mud during the construction of the railway line due to the many springs under or next to the railway line.
This resulted in the railway line having to be resurveyed and was shifted 100 meters south along the bed of Nyaania creek. Renamed Glen Forrest in 1915 the creek now runs along the top of a 3 to 5 meter deep cutting and in winter the water can be heard overhead rushing through the cutting.
Mahogany Creek was named after the surrounding Jarrah forest which was similar to the English Mahogany. Mahogany Creek was most famously known for the 1939 military barracks that were built to protect travellers from attacks on the Old York Road. Once abandoned in 1841 the barracks were sold and became provide accommodation for travellers and is still remaining today.
The extensive gravel quarrying at Mahogany Creek Coppin Road site along with the steady interest in fruit growing potential led to the opening of the railway station being built on the line in 1891.