Plan your Trip
Distance 2.5 km
Gradient 1.5 – 2.0
Timings Walk 40 mins Cycle 15 mins
Points of Interest
Darlington Platform at Darlington Station Reserve
Stone-walled cellar at Darlington Hall (built 1965)
Glen Forrest Station Masters House
In 1883 Dr Alfred Waylen purchased land to establish a vineyard on a slope facing the rising sun, the vineyards thick stone-walled cellar is still present today and is now part of the Darlington lessor hall. In 1889 a platform was constructed and named "Darlington" after the vineyard. In the 1920's Darlington became a popular holiday destination which contributed to the area securing the first bus service in 1930 for the Mundaring district. The two buses ran seven days a week from Perth to Darlington and provided a stop at John Forrest National Park for bushwalkers.
Glen Forrest was formerly known as "Smiths Mill" after Charles Alfred Smith who established the "York Greenmount Sawmill" in 1877, on the banks of the Nyaania Brook. The seasonal creek had earned the name in the Perth newspapers in the 1880s as "The Devil's Terror" after workers reportedly sunk in mud during the construction of the railway line due to the many springs under or next to the railway line.
This resulted in the railway line having to be resurveyed and was shifted 100 meters south along the bed of Nyaania creek. Renamed Glen Forrest in 1915 the creek now runs along the top of a 3 to 5 meter deep cutting and in winter the water can be heard overhead rushing through the cutting.