Plan your Trip
Timings Walk 15 min Cycle 5 min
Points of Interest
Blackboy Hill Commemoration Site
Hugo Throssell Granite Memorial
Katharine Prichard Cottage
In 1887 Edward Robinson established a farm east of Guildford and adjacent to the railway line, he named his brick dwelling "Belle View". The town became known as Bellevue from 1900 when population exceeded 600. Formerly the town had the largest cluster of brickworks in the State from 1900-1914 which provided local employment and the government workers Homes contributing to the progress of Bellevue.
Bellevue Bridge was constructed on Great Eastern Highway over the railway line at Bellevue station level crossing. Opening was before the standard gauge line went through the Avon Valley line which officially opened on 13 February 1966.
In 1854 Greenmount was established as a convict station for working on the York Road, convicts worked at the granite quarry at the foot of Greenmount Hill in the 1870's to supply the Eastern Railway line with ballast. Settlement began around the railway station in 1885 when the Railway Department ran excursion trains to Greenmount. The first world war in 1914 – 1918 prompted the Commonwealth government to commandeer Black boy Hill estate as an army training camp. Over 32000 men were trained here at Blackboy Hill with 10 awarded as Victoria Cross recipients. A war memorial was built at the site of the Blackboy Hill training camp in 1951 and still remains today.
Captain Hugo Throssell, a Gallipoli hero, was the first West Australian to be awarded the Victoria Cross after the First World War who settled in Greenmount with his wife Katharine Prichard. Katharine was also a significant presence in this area as a pioneer in Australian literature and her cottage was set up as an art gallery and writers workshop after her passing.